24 July 2012
Virgin Media Charity Day 2012
Hear how everyone came together to raise over £60,000 in one day…
On Thursday 5th July, across 80 sites in the UK and our offshore partner sites, the whole Virgin Media family came together to raise over £60,000 in a single day - just from the pockets of our very generous staff. The day is all about engaging our staff and demonstrating our Virgin values, while creating positive change for the UK.
With the Olympics and the Jubilee this year, we chose the theme “The Best of British” and lots of activities across the day reflected this theme. We also had over 1,400 photos uploaded to our intranet showing all those that chose to bring the theme to life further.
Here are some of the highlights from the day:
- Senior Finance, Technology and Engineering directors bravely submitted themselves to the dunking stocks, raising both money and laughs!
- Our field engineering team (Access) took time out at over 50 sites, and raised £14,000
- Virgin Media Business raised £2,219 with their own auction of prizes donated by the Senior Leadership Team, including a weekend in London
- Our offshore partners spent the day visiting charities, giving time and money
- Neil Berkett (Chief Executive), Andrew Barron (Chief Operating Officer) and Paul Buttery (Chief Customer, Technology & Networks Officer) worked up a sweat blending smoothies on-demand, on their smoothie bike outside our Head Office
- The online National Raffle exceeded its target, raising £4,439 and distributing over 20 great prizes, many of which had been kindly donated by our suppliers
- Our people at the Glenrothes site are top contenders for the most generous per capita, donating almost £18 per head
- A 3-man team created a 50 page “Big Red Recipe Book” that was sold across the sites.
The money we raised goes to over 60 local and national charities that are nominated and elected by the staff every 2 years. The charities range from CRUK through to local children’s hospices such as Naomi House. We're really proud of our achievement this year, particularly as it brings our total over the last 2 Charity Days to over £100,000, in addition to the work that goes on throughout the year.